Misterton Methodist Church
Minister: Rev. Louise Carr
There are references to at least 17 visits by John Wesley to Misterton. He held meetings in the fields and in the home of Ann Codd of Colton Street. On her death she bequeathed her house to John and Charles Wesley to be used as a meeting place. This rapidly became too small, the house was sold and in 1756 a Meeting House was built on the site of the present Wesleyan Methodist Church.. The original trustees being approved by John and Charles Wesley
The Wesleyans, again, required a larger building, so a Chapel was built in 1826 using bricks from the original Meeting House. It was built with 35 pew holders, a gallery area for Choir and orchestra and a seating capacity of 298. By the 1870’s there was both a Wesleyan and a Primitive Methodist Church in Misterton and both required larger premises. In 1878 two new Chapels were built 100 yards apart. The newspapers reported 500 people at each opening service. The first resident Minister Rev Charles Richardson was installed in 1874.
At the Union of Methodism in 1932 numbers were large enough for both Chapels to be sustained. The two congregations were eventually amalgamated in 1963 when the Wesleyan Site was chosen to be the current place of worship. Additionally In the 1960s, an (internally) attractive light-filled church hall with stage was added for use by the surrounding community.
This year, 2016, marks the 260th Anniversary of Methodism in Misterton. Misterton, today, lives up to its rich history. It continues to be thriving, active community with a range of activities and social groups. We are proud that a warm welcome is given to anyone who wishes to join us.
In addition to the weekly 10:30AM Sunday Morning services, there is an occasional 9:15AM Holy Communion service that can take place on the 3rd Sunday of the month. For our younger members we provide "The Shell Club" Sunday School during the service.
This Month's Services
- WEEK ONE: 10:30AM Knapton
- WEEK TWO: 10:30AM M Coates
- WEEK THREE: 10:30AM Carr HC
- WEEK FOUR: 10:30AM Lockwood
HC= Holy Communion
As we stated earlier we have a range of activities available to our members. The most prominent of which are the Womens' Fellowship, and the regular monthly Coffee Mornings.
The Womens' Fellowship meets on the 1st & 3rd Wednesday of each month at 2:15PM. They provide interesting and informative talks on various subjects. For more information contact Miss B Charman on ☏ 01427 890024.
Our Drop-In Coffee Group is held between 10:00AM and 11:00AM on the 3rd Thursday of the month. The event generally provides an opportunity for both fund-raising (with stalls, a raffle, etc) and a way to become involved with our community and make new friends.
We have been told that the Methodist Hall is desirable for use by community groups due to its pleasant environment and affordable rates. At present the premise plays host to a number of these groups such as the Messengers Choir, College Arts Courses and the North Notts Bonsai club. If you are interested in the possibility of using our facilities please contact our Bookings Officer Mrs Jackie Bell on ☏ 01472 890050.