Glentham Methodist Church
Minister: Rev. Anne Coates
Although small we are a lively and active Church. The building was once a Village Institute, providing venue and accommodation for visiting Theatre Companys, becoming a Methodist church in 1911. It has a large garden and house attached with a short term lease.It is the only Methodist church remaining in a 7 mile radius, taking in a number of small communities and the village of Hemswell Cliff.
We are a truly All Age congregation with a renewed sense of vision. With regular 'normal' services plus Messy Church, Men's Breakfast, Prayer & Bible study, Holiday club and outreach into the local communities the Church seeks to grow in faith and fellowship with new initiatives and friendly welcomes. As part of this the church conducts school assemblies in both Normanby by Spital and Hemswell Cliff Primary Schools.
We have three different worship times 10:45AM [1st and 3rd Sunday of the month], 6:00PM [2nd Sunday of the month] and 9:30AM [4th Sunday of the month]. We feel this offers a way of connecting with a wider range of people. We share in breakfast at 8:45AM prior to our 9:30 services to which you are very welcome. In addition we occasionally we have Café style worship and film afternoons. It may interest you that BBQ's are often held after special services in the summer.
This Month's Services
- WEEK ONE: 10:45AM Carr FC
- WEEK TWO: 6:00PM Parkin - Café
- WEEK THREE: 10:45AM Messy Church
- WEEK FOUR: 9:30AM Breakfast - Coates
FC= Family Church
As part of our aim to be an All Age congregation we run the following:
- Family Church: 10:45AM - [1st Sunday of each month] - (contact Alison Faulkner ☏ 01673 818718 for details.)
- Messy Church: 10:45AM [3rd Sunday of each month] - (contact Jenny Atkinson ☏ 01673 878806 for details.)
Alongside our services, we have a very wide variety of Home groups and Social gatherings available that meet either Fortnightly or Monthly, as follows:
- Men’s Breakfast: 9:00AM - [Every 2nd Saturday] - at The Crown Inn, Glentham. - Breakfast £5-50 with free chat and a different speaker each month!! (contact Peter Atkinson ☏ 01673 878806 to book your place.)
- Sugar & Spice: 9:30AM - [Every 3rd Saturday] - Held at The Willows Garden Centre, Glentham - An opportunity for the ladies to share friendship and informal discussion about some of the 'big questions' in life over a coffee/tea/cake -(contact Janet Faulkner ☏ 01673 818718 or Jenny Atkinson ☏ 01673 878806)
- 'Presence' Ecumenical Bible Study/Prayer Group: - 7:00PM [2nd & 4th Thursday of the month] at "Tilsit" (contact Peter Atkinson ☏ 01673 878806)
For our younger generation, each year we put our heads together and come up with ideas, then we run a 5 day long Holiday Club event for 4 - 13 year olds in the Summer Holidays dedicated to Fun, Games, Craft, Songs and Stories. This Summer's club has already taken place, but please keep an eye out for other children's activities, as we also provide Holiday Clubs at other times within the year.
The God Pod
The GOD POD is one of our community outreach initiatives ...
It is a converted single decker bus, that has been equipped to be a means of taking the Good News of Jesus from inside the church to where people are.
Members of Glentham Chapel take the Pod to Hemswell Cliff twice a month on a Sunday afternoon between 2:00PM and 4:00PM.
We never know who will come on board. Numerous children plus the occasional adult spend time with us – all seeking to know more about Jesus. It is a pleasure to see children come running from all directions to listen to the Bible stories and take part in all sorts of puzzles and crafts. We have tremendous fun with all ages from 4-40!! We have been told that for adults it is often a place of peace and calm to discuss, pray and find a closer relationship with God. To be honest - Bible stories, songs and prayers quite easily fill the 2 hours as we spend time caring and getting alongside the folks at Hemswell Cliff. It is a very rewarding activity!