Nettleton Methodist Church
Minister: Rev. Sarah Parkin
We are a small and welcoming church who want to glorify God through our worship and service within our quiet residential community.
Methodism came to Nettleton in 1796 in the homes of Henry Spring, Zechariah Featherstone and Robert Appleby. The chapel was built in 1800, enlarged in 1847 and the schoolroom, kitchen and toilet added in 1912.
The Primitive Methodist Chapel (across the road) was built in 1858, but when its lease expired in 1957 it was agreed to unite the two societies and worship in the present chapel, which was renovated and re-opened in 1957. The main worship area and a school room are linked by a removable screen which makes the space very flexible. In 2002 the kitchen and toilet facilities were updated, followed by repairs to the roof and exterior brickwork. This work uncovered an unknown Ironstone wall, which has now been restored to its former glory.
Our weekly services are usually held at 2:30PM every Sunday. Occasionally we also open for a 6:00PM Evening service. In addition a Joint service is held with the Parish Church 4 times a year and held in Church and Chapel alternately.
This Month's Services
- WEEK ONE: 2:30PM Carr - United @ Methodist
- WEEK TWO: 2:30PM Parkin
- WEEK THREE: 2:30PM Knapton
- WEEK FOUR: 2:30PM Coates
The chapel schoolroom is used extensively for meetings of local community groups and services, such as the Nettleton Gardening Club, Workers’ Educational Association (WEA), Women's Institute and the Parish Council.
We are pleased that the Nettleton & Moortown WI continues to meet in the School Room on the second Thursday in the month at 7:30PM. Their meetings include information about other WI events happening around our area and at national level, updates on the campaigns for which the WI is renowned, an optional raffle and, of course, a cup of tea or coffee! Further details are available from their Secretary, Midge Thomas on ☏ 01652 678365.
Our Monthly Coffee Morning falls on the first Saturday of each month from 10:30AM - 12:00 NOON.
A Notice Board outside the Chapel is updated regularly, or you can contact the Chapel Steward, Jean Field on ☏ 01472 852056 for any further information that you require.